For the love of God by the power of the Holy Spirit, we gather new people to Christ, grow in Christ, and go for Christ.
As United Methodists, we affirm the historic doctrines of the Christian faith including:
- God in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- Salvation offered to everyone through the saving grace of Jesus Christ.
- The authority of Scripture in matters of faith.
United Methodists are also known for uniting our personal faith journeys with hands-on outreach to a world in need. At First St. Charles, we offer both the opportunity to grow in knowledge and love of God, and the chance to get involved in our local and global communities offering hope and healing.
We value God's gifts of intellect and reason and seek to use these gifts to better understand the world in which we live. We believe strongly in speaking up for God's creation and God's people and are willing to take a stand. However, we are also able to see the complexities of issues and to welcome within our church those who wrestle faithfully with the concerns we face but come to differing conclusions.
First St. Charles United Methodist Church began in 1820. Catharine Collier purchased the land and the first building frame was erected on the north side of Jackson Street, between First and Second Streets. Mrs. Collier was passionate about education and used her resources to educate African-American children in St. Charles, during this time.
In October of 1831, Mrs. Collier acquired ground now known as 617 South Main Street, upon which a new church building was built for the Methodist congregation. The building on South Main was used by the congregation until 1852 when a larger building became necessary. The congregation moved into the new building, located at Fifth and Clay Streets in 1855 and occupied it until 1896 when the property was sold.
In 1895, the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, purchased the building located on the corner of Fifth and Washington Streets. Tragedy descended upon the Fifth Street congregation in January of 1953 when the church was completely destroyed by an explosion and fire. By October 1954, a new structure at Eighth and First Capitol Drive was completed and the congregation moved in. The church school and congregation grew in size, and in 1959 and 1960, a three-story education building was constructed.
In 1970, an addition was made to the education building. The 21st century was entered with yet another addition. An administration and education wing was added, as well as an atrium for church gatherings and fellowship.